Wednesday, April 03, 2013

It's the Little Things

Sometimes you feel like you're failing at life, but then your co-worker teaches you how to make a paper airplane or you eat maple-and-brown-sugar oatmeal for lunch, and you feel like maaaybe you can make it through the day.

I got caught in the rain twice yesterday -- once when it was like cats and dogs and once when it was a drizzle, but kinda cold.  Usually, I like rain, but yesterday, I was hating it.  But then I watched lightning blaze across the sky on my drive home and admired it's beauty.

Life is just a series of ups and downs -- big problems and little comforts.  I'm trying to get the hang of it, but I don't know if I'm doing a good job lately.  It definitely makes me grateful for the five minutes here and there of pure joy -- the paper airplanes, the oatmeal, the brilliance of the night sky.  Here are some other things I cherish, in no particular order:
  • A new bar of soap
  • A comment on my blog
  • A like on Facebook
  • Pictures of my nieces and nephews
  • Brightly-colored slacks
  • Yellow umbrellas
  • Clementines
  • Windshield wipers

That's what I noticed today, anyway.

6 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

Since you mentioned it, I'll get out of my normal lurker mode and leave a comment. Although I don't usually leave evidence of it, I do read your blog regularly and really enjoy the glimpse into your life that you provide.

The little thing I'm enjoying today is the spring sunshine pouring through my large window at work. It does make the day easier.

Signed, a second cousin of yours in Utah

1:12 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Ha -- thanks for leaving a comment! :)

And I'm glad you mentioned one of the little things that makes your day great; I think it's good to be grateful, but also to know what other people are grateful for. It sort of gives you an idea of who they are and also serves as a reminder for the little things to look for in your own life.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Lyndel said...

Every time I get a new bar of dove soap out and put it in the shower I am reminded of you and a blog post long ago where you talked about a friend of yours (I think?) getting a new bar of soap out whenever the dove marking was gone, since it made them feel rich. I'm definitely not rich and use soap until the very last unusable flake. Either way, I still think of you :)

3:23 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

what an excellent post! even though they all are really. i'm totally with you on the ups and downs. this made me think of my day yesterday. i got the flu and yesterday i felt like death. like seriously that must be what it feels like when you're dying. my body hurt so so bad. but for a few minutes of my day, abigail and i cuddled in my bed with the electric blanket on and we just read books and had a little party under the covers. and even though i still had the flu, i was enjoying that precious moment with my favorite little girl. it was amazing.

and i too loooooove a new bar of soap. i also love a fridge full of milk, my electric blanket (always feels like sheets straight out of the dryer!), pretty painted toe nails, and laying my head on the pillow at night feeling like i've done a pretty good job that day. life is full of so many good things.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Oh, gosh, Lyndel -- thanks! It's so nice of you to remember me. :)

And Carrie -- that's a good list! (I love clothes straight out of the dryer!)

5:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Stumbled across this by accident..stopped to read, and i have to say...what a lovely accident...felt good about life just reading and smiled all the while..

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home