Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Share the Load

Today, Sheryl Sandberg posted this ad on Facebook:



To be honest, I didn't understand why it was such an important campaign until I watched this video:




Obviously, I have some thoughts regarding this campaign:
  • Media in general is crazy powerful. I don't understand how people can't see how much of our culture is shaped by television, movies, radio, and now, social media. I expect that if the things people watched and listened to on a regular basis changed for the better, humanity would change for the better. Want children to grow up thinking that violence isn't the solution to their problems? Take it out of television shows. Want people to stop objectifying each other? Quit objectifying them in movies. Etc., etc.

  • I love social media. To be sure, it has its downsides, but there are amazing upsides, too. Social media can be such a powerful tool for change.

  • I am a Mormon, and there is a lot of talk these days about sexism in the Church. While I agree that there is sexism expressed (either directly or indirectly) by Church members, I don't think it's greater than the level of sexism expressed by people in general. In this video, we see that sexism is alive and kicking all over the place––in organizations, in countries, and in families. But we also see that small changes in awareness and behavior can change the way people think. That, to me, is amazing.

  • I sure am glad my parents constantly bust gender stereotypes. Growing up, my dad was the person I went to when I needed something ironed in a hurry; my mom was the person I went to when I had car trouble. My dad made breakfast, and my mom made dinner. My dad did the laundry, and my mom managed the bills. From the beginning, they just did what they wanted, without too much regard for society's prescribed roles, and I know I'm a better person for it. (Thanks, mom and dad.)

Thing I'm thankful for: Ramen. I know, I know. It's cheap and salty. But I looove it. I love it.

4 Comments:

Blogger cardlady said...

You are welcome Chickadee! I would never fit the expected Molly Mormon gender roll.HA! I like too many different things like tearing down walls and carpentry etc.

8:12 PM  
Blogger cardlady said...

You are welcome Chickadee! I would never fit the expected Molly Mormon gender roll.HA! I like too many different things like tearing down walls and carpentry etc.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

First reaction: men not doing their laundry is a thing? What is this, the 1950s?

I guess I have a lot to be grateful for in that I was raised to be competent in domestic tasks - and have always expected that I'd contribute to the work around the house. You know, equal partners and all.

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Summer said...

We did have non-gender specific parents, and it was great! I fixed the vacuum the other day and felt like Mom. And I was proud :)

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home