Monday, December 07, 2015

This State

People keep asking me how I like Utah, and this is what I usually say, "It's okay." That's not what people want to hear about their state, though; they want to hear, "It's great! I love it here!"

Why isn't it great, then? Why don't I love it here? I realized this weekend that it has more to do with my health than anything. Since I've moved to Utah, I've been hit by a car, had two sinus infections, and have had a cold that's lasted over two weeks. Oh! And I had a root canal.

Not only are those things not fun, but they affect overall life satisfaction. It's hard to enjoy life when your body is in pain. It's not Utah's fault, of course, but when people ask me how I like it here, it's hard to separate my time in this state to my time in . . . this state––this state of feeling broken.

At the same time, there's nothing wrong with "okay." Why are people expected to be ecstatic about everything? Why does everything have to be great? Why can't "okay" be enough? I never said I didn't like Utah or that it isn't great––just that it's okay.

But since people have asked, I'll list the things that I think are great about Utah:

  • I get to live near family again. I have a brother, aunts and uncles, and cousins here.
  • I get to live near some of my Atlanta friends again because they live here now, too.
  • I live in the Lower Avenues, my favorite neighborhood in Salt Lake City.
  • My location means I am within walking distance of work, the grocery store, a pretty great mall, and Temple Square!
  • I get to see the Christmas lights at Temple Square every night of the week, as I walk home from work each day.
  • The mountains! Mountains are beautiful.
  • My co-workers, namely David, Russell, Alana, Rob, James, Matt, Trey, Gabe, Mindy, Ben, Natalie, Aubrey, Aubrey, Brad, Marleny, Melissa, Jenny, Drew, Becca, and Robin.

Thing I'm thankful for: the Neti pot.

2 Comments:

Blogger cardlady said...

Oh, I hope you get to feeling much better soon. Can I say, one last time, MRI? I'll come visit in tge spring and we'll go shopping at that mall and see some SLC things. I love it tgere too, because our ancestors built it!

11:19 AM  
Blogger cardlady said...

Oh, I hope you get to feeling much better soon. Can I say, one last time, MRI? I'll come visit in tge spring and we'll go shopping at that mall and see some SLC things. I love it tgere too, because our ancestors built it!

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home