Friday, September 25, 2015

Conversation Is Dying

Well, I guess I'm sort of like Taylor Swift, except instead of singing about people who've done me wrong, I write about them on my blog . . . I'll just slap on some red lipstick and call it good.

So here's one for the books: What is up with people being really bad at conversation? I think it's a dying art. Or skill. Or . . . Whatever it is, people are getting worse and worse at it. (Or maybe I'm just getting more and more incredible, so other people are worse by comparison!)

At any rate, I was disappointed by some conversation today. This person spent maybe . . . 45 minutes talking AT me. I tried to insert myself into the conversation, but I think he was irritated by it. He was right, right, right about everything in the world. He certainly didn't have the wherewithal to see that I had disengaged -- with my tight lips and "mm-hms."

Now, I understand that maybe this man has a personality flaw. Or general social cluelessness. But is it just me, or does that seem to be more and more common these days? Is it an effect of smartphones and texting? I feel like it's got to be. People just seem to have a hard time now making conversation if it doesn't involve some sort of digital device -- they either don't know how to talk at all, or they don't know how to involve the other person in dialogue. It's driving me nuts!


On a side note: I really hate it when people say "conversate" as though it's an actual word in the dictionary. (It's not!)


Thing I'm thankful for: Avocados! Oh, California . . . I am praying for rain!

5 Comments:

Blogger cardlady said...

Hahahaha, so how did our last conversation, this evening go? Hahaha Short, because we were not on tge same wavelength. I had to get home to the bathroom quick. It,was a dire emergency. Now I want to hear about this conversation.

1:33 AM  
Blogger cardlady said...

Hahahaha, so how did our last conversation, this evening go? Hahaha Short, because we were not on tge same wavelength. I had to get home to the bathroom quick. It,was a dire emergency. Now I want to hear about this conversation.

1:33 AM  
Blogger Dracoverde said...

conversate may not be in the dictionary now, but if enough people start to use it in that way then Webster's will certainly add it, and then it will be one of those annoying words of the year.

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Kevin said...

I've known some people that just have a little bit lower EQ and will ramble on and on about things that apparently they find incredibly interesting, but no one else seems to care about, even a little bit. I've found myself doing something somewhat similar at times if I'm incredibly nervous. It's not that I'm self-absorbed as much as I realize I'm talking to a really incredible girl!

6:57 AM  
Blogger Tricia said...

This is actually a symptom of aspergers. My mom has it. The older I get in the single world, the more people I notice that also have it around me.

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home