Saturday, October 20, 2012

How to Hug: Learning from Failure

This week, a very short friend gave me a hug.  In an effort to reach my height, she jumped a little, and what I got was a shoulder punch to the throat.  My larynx hurt for the next two hours.

It made me think about hugs, though -- why we give them, what they mean, and -- on that particular night of hug pain -- how we give them.  I conducted an informal survey of five people, including myself, and decided some things.  That is, these are the rules for hugging people with obvious height differences:
  1. Short people:  Stay put.  Keep your feet on the ground.  You can reach up by extending your neck and raising your chin, but that's pretty much all you can do.  Alternatively, you can turn your head to the side and just admit that you're too short to reach the other person's shoulder.  In this case, you have to do the head-resting-on-chest thing.  (Note:  This is only appropriate if you are a short girl hugging a tall man.)
  2. Tall people:  It is your responsibility to lean down to the short person.  Sometimes it's awkward, but . . . with great power comes great responsibility?
Simply put, short people should stay on the ground; tall people should bend down.  Jumping should never be involved.  Ever.


Thing I'm thankful for: a bright and quiet Saturday afternoon for doing homework

3 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

As an individual of diminutive stature, I appreciate this very much.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

ha. this made me laugh. i very much agree. and i always bend down. i will, however, disagree about head resting on chest only in the case of a small girl hugging a tall man. only because i know how very happy it makes lynell to rest her head on my chest. or what little i have.

4:32 PM  
Blogger cardlady said...

Fun post Sara!
GUESS WHAT? My DNA Ancestry.com results are in.
I am 65% British Isles
Scandinavian 27%
and ????PERSIAN/TURKISH/IRAN 8 %
Is that unreal? hahahahahha
It will include more when I get my brothers DNA done and Mom and KARMA
WOW! It is possibly because of wars and intermingling with wars etc, with Persia!!!!!

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home