Friday, June 15, 2012

Friday Fun: Best of The Beatles

This week, my dear friend Nikki sent me an e-mail with a link to an article, USA Today Picks the 20 Best Beatles Songs, with the subject line "Do you agree with this?"

As a matter of fact, I did not agree with the list.  So today, just for fun, I'm going to tell you which Beatles songs I think are the best.  Please comment and let me know if you agree!  If you don't, let me know that, too!  (P.S. You try to do it; it's hard!)
  1. Here Comes the Sun
  2. I Will
  3. Two of Us
  4. Rocky Raccoon
  5. Blackbird
  6. Something*
  7. Yesterday
  8. Oh! Darling
  9. When I'm Sixty-Four*
  10. Hello, Goodbye
  11. All You Need is Love
  12. She Came In Through the Bathroom Window***
  13. Carry that Weight***
  14. Do You Want to Know a Secret?
  15. If I Fell
  16. And I Love Her
  17. I'll Follow the Sun
  18. Michelle
  19. She Loves You
  20. Help!
*While "Something" was my favorite Beatles song for a long, long time, I realized today that it isn't anymore.  It makes sense, though; I liked it when I was 18.  It "spoke" to my teenage heart in a way it doesn't anymore.  I still love it, though, as you can see.

**This was a tough one, as McCartney wrote a handful of similar songs, such as "Honey Pie" and "Your Mother Should Know."  I love his old-time music, but I'm pretty sure "When I'm Sixty-Four" is the best one of the bunch.

***I realize it's difficult to separate any of the songs on Side Two of Abbey Road, but I had to.  Sure, neither song really packs the ultimate punch without the songs just before and after them, but I think they are still rockin' enough to stand on their own, especially "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window."


Thing I'm thankful for: such exceptional musicians.  Music is wonderful.  :)

    4 Comments:

    Blogger jackie said...

    Oh man, this was hard! These are my favorites, sort of in order but not really cause I can't pick a favorite.

    1.Blackbird
    2.In My Life
    3.We Can Work It Out
    4.And I Love Her
    5.She's Leaving Home
    6.Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    7.I've Just Seen a Face
    8.Eleanor Rigby
    9.Ticket To Ride
    10.You Never Give Me Your Number
    11.Something
    12.She Said She Said
    13.All You Need Is Love
    14.Helter Skelter
    15.For No One
    16.Good Morning Good Morning
    17.Happiness is a Warm Gun
    18.Across the Universe
    19.I Want To Hold Your Hand
    20.Paperback Writer

    8:12 PM  
    Blogger Sara said...

    Oh, yeah! "We Can Work it Out" should be on there FOR SURE!

    12:03 AM  
    Anonymous Lori Brons said...

    I'd add Here, There, and Everywhere too. Whose idea was it to narrow best Beatles songs down to only 20? :P

    My sisters and I used to watch the movie Help! a lot, so a lot of the songs from that album evoke a particularly happy feeling.

    When I still shared a room with one of my sisters, whenever we'd say goodnight, we'd sing "For tomorrow may rain so I'll follow the sun." Kinda dorky, but it was fun.

    7:57 AM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    I'm not even going to attempt that feat.

    However, I'd just like to share that, when my grandpa turned 64, all of us grandkids learned the words and sang it to him. I must've been about 5, and I still remember how important I felt holding the microphone for my part.

    5:22 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home