Friday, March 16, 2012

SXSW 2012, Part 2

Remember when I saw The Strokes for free last year at SXSW? Well, this year, the big free show featured The Shins! I loved it! I absolutely loved it; in fact, I didn't want the night to end. Let me tell you why: I was surrounded by some of my favorite Austin friends. Last year at this time, I felt quite lonely. Even The Strokes couldn't mask that. Gosh, it's amazing the difference a year makes. I am happy now, especially during SXSW. There are not many things better than a free outdoor concert during good weather, with friends you adore, for a band you love. It's truly a recipe for feeling carefree.

I was maybe a little bored while we waited for one of the opening bands to perform. So I took a picture of people's feet. I find shoes in Austin to be so fascinating. It seems everyone owns at least one pair of Toms or Converse. Boots are everywhere, and tennis shoes are of course, an American standard. (Or are they? Hipster shoes, at least, prevail in Central Texas.)


I think I basically went crazy when The Shins came on. I'm pretty quiet most of the time, so I think my friends were probably shocked or dismayed or disgusted with my screams and cheers. I mean, I was ridiculous. How could I not be, though? It was The Shins!


They played a good mix of old and new stuff. I was surprised by how many songs they played from "Chutes Too Narrow," actually. I only recall one song from "Oh, Inverted World." There were some songs from "Wincing the Night Away" as well, though I didn't recognize those as easily (as evidenced by my un-screams).


They played a lot of new songs as well. The album, "Port of Morrow" will be released sometime this year, and although it's sort of psychedelic and trippy, it's still fun. Not The Shins I love, but still good music.


The obligatory arms-against-bright-lights shot. I love those.


It was such a good night. In fact, I'd say it was the best night of 2012 so far. It's gonna be a tough one to beat!


Thing I'm thankful for: Heather's awesome parking skillz

2 Comments:

Blogger Aubrey said...

I'm such a selfish b.
This pains me because I am just so jealous I couldn't go.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Weird. I was listening to "Port of Morrow" when I clicked onto your blog.

Couple things:
-- I loved your email. I'm glad you had so much fun at this show, too! Sounds like it rivaled the Shins show we all went to in NYC.
-- My first thought when viewing the "shoes" photo: "Those shoes do NOT have enough support to stand up for hours at a show." Clearly, I am old.
-- It's sad to me that James Mercer is the only original Shins band member left. Still. "Port of Morrow" is pretty darn good.

Hey! Come see my new kid! When are you visiting?

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home