Thursday, September 22, 2011

My Love Languages


Just in case you were wondering how I express love and how I like to receive love, I'll let you know my love languages.

Words of Affirmation and Quality Time were neck-and-neck.

Words of Affirmation
Actions don't always speak louder than words. If this is your love language, unsolicited compliments mean the world to you. Hearing the words, "I love you," are important—hearing the reasons behind that love sends your spirits skyward. Insults can leave you shattered and are not easily forgotten.

Quality Time
In Quality Time, nothing says "I love you" like full, undivided attention. Being there for this type of person is critical, but really being there—with the TV off, fork and knife down, and all chores and tasks on standby—makes you feel truly special and loved. Distractions, postponed activities, or the failure to listen can be especially hurtful.


I scored lowest on Physical Touch, Acts of Service, and Receiving Gifts. That seems about right. Although, I do think I'm good with physical touch, if I'm in a romantic relationship. I just have to know that it's meaningful -- that someone isn't being physically flirtatious with me just for fun.

You can take the Love Languages Assessment, too!


Thing I'm thankful for: sticky rice with mango

6 Comments:

Blogger Amy Stone said...

I knew yours would be quality time the second I saw the title of the blog. Words of affirmation makes sense too, especially becaus eyou are really good at giving them.
In that case:
SARAH YOU ARE AN AMAZING WRITER AND SUCH A GOOD COMMUNICATOR! I'M SO GLAD YOU ARE SO CREATIVE WITH THE VARIETY OF BLOG ENTRIES THAT YOU PUBLISH. KEEP UP THE EXCELLENT WORK! YOU'RE STILL ONE OF MY FAVORITE PEOPLE EVER -- even if you live in lame-o Texas... jk
I'm really no good at words of affirmation, but it's worth a shot. Lorrin's love languages are the same. I think mine is gifs and physical touch. and acts of service. and sometimes quality time. and sooometimes words of affirmation. Basically, I just like love.

1:28 AM  
Blogger Amy Stone said...

oh, and by the way can I just make a generic comment. That is that I would have been WAY more willing to read this book a while back if it wasn't a deep purple color with a sappy picture of a couple walking on the beach.
Good graphic design is my true love language, and Mr. Chapman left my 'gas tank' empty.

1:30 AM  
Blogger kyns said...

I m pretty sure Taylor made me take this assessment a long time ago but I decided to take it again. IT WAS SO HARD TO PICK ANSWERS. It was like "I like when my husband compliments my appearance." or "I like when my husband gives me a massage." HOW IS A GIRL TO CHOOSE? I feel like all 5 love languages are mine, maybe less of the receiving gifts. Unless the gift is like, say, a yacht. But really, I am okay without lots of gifts.

6:25 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I love a love language. This is actually so helpful for people to know about themselves, as long as they can effectively communicate it to others.

I've not taken the test but I think I receive love through acts of service and quality time. I'm not so great with the words, although I think I'm beginning to have a greater appreciation for them.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

Ha! I'm glad you found the test; it's been a while since I've been motivated to take an internet quiz. I wasn't loving that test, but in the end I have to agree with the results!

5 Words of Affirmation
8 Quality Time
3 Receiving Gifts
7 Acts of Service
7 Physical Touch

I might bump words down a point and physical up, but otherwise, seems pretty darn good! Now we just need a test to evaluate how good we are at at giving in the five languages. I'd be a 12 in everything, except for zeros in words of affirmation and gift giving ;)

11:04 PM  
Blogger cardlady said...

HEY! John Lund wrote a chapter in his book first on Love Language.
REMEMBER? the book "Avoiding Emotional Divorce" which actually preceeds a real divorce.
It helped me to see how dad and I communicate, and where we needed improvement.
Good post. Glad you are interested in this stuff!
Cardlady

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home