Tuesday, April 26, 2011

My Favorite Musical



Well, I did it. I finally decided on my favorite musical.

Although I like my fair share of musicals (usually of the Rogers and Hammerstein variety), I wouldn't say I'm a fan of musicals in general. I don't like contemporary broadway shows, for example, and I don't watch "Glee." Instead, I have a handful of Disney favorites, and I cherish a few mid-20th century live action productions.

Tonight I watched (for maybe the 10th time) The King and I with my brother Blake and his wife, Lindsey. During a dessert break, I was telling Lindsey that "The King and I" is my favorite. I almost felt guilty for saying it because I didn't want to turn my back on The Sound of Music or My Fair Lady.

When it comes right down to it, though, I'm proud to call "The King and I" my favorite. It's more complex than most musicals, in which the plots and songs are mainly about love and romance. I consider "The King and I" to be the thinking man's musical; it's full of epistemological issues that people continue to study today. Sure, the backdrop of "The Sound of Music" is Nazi-occupied Austria, but not much of the dialogue directly addresses it. Anna and the king, however, go back and forth about science and knowing and believing.

Additionally, the song "Getting to Know You" precisely summarizes the deepest motivation of my soul -- to get to know people. Is there a pleasanter song out there? I think not.

Finally, who can deny that Yul Brynner's king is the most charming character ever played on screen? He is truly captivating, and I defy anyone who doesn't get a kick out of "Et cetera! Et cetera! Et cetera!"


Thing I'm thankful for: dancing in the living room with my nieces

4 Comments:

Blogger Jason Kesler said...

"Is a puzzlement!"

8:30 AM  
Blogger Jason Kesler said...

Steinbeck, in his Journal of a Novel (which I am reading as a pseudo-devotional as I write), refers to the King and I but gets the quotation wrong. He writes, "'Is a mystery!'"

8:32 AM  
Blogger Aubrey said...

"everyday I do my best for one more day!"
My fave line by the king.
Shall we dance is my fave song "will we still be together with our arms around each other and will you be my new romance?"

8:57 PM  
Blogger Lexia said...

What about Funny Girl? I can't believe you didn't even mention it! I don't know who you are anymore.

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home