Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Abstract Art

Can people tell the difference between professional abstract art and children's fingerpaintings?

You bet they can. And I'm glad, too. I'm not saying I love all abstract art; there are some 20th- and 21st-century artists I find downright disgusting. But I think abstract artists often get a bad rap, and I can't quite figure out why. Maybe it's just uncreative people, in general, who don't appreciate abstract art. :) I dunno -- you be the judge.

Still, I wanted to take a moment to say that it takes more skill to create a meaningful piece of abstract art than a lot of people think.

Anyway, here are some of my favorite examples of artistic abstraction (and I'm not even getting into Islamic or Chinese art or Expressionism):


Rothko, No. 61


Whistler, Nocturne in Black and Gold: The Falling Rocket


Mondrian, Composition with red, yellow, blue, and black


Thing I'm thankful for: my mommy's artistic flair!

5 Comments:

Blogger Gretchen Alice said...

I saw a Mondrian painting at a University of Utah Masters Show a few years ago and it changed my life. I'm usually exaggerating when I say stuff like that, but I'm not even kidding.
Mondrian's work looks cool on the screen or on page, but in real life, it's painted with so much precision. Every brush stroke is perfectly aligned with the next and it was done so lovingly.
(Sorry for the long, rambling comment. I get really worked up about art.) :D

9:51 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

i'm really glad you appreciate abstract art. i wish i did.

i think if i was creative then i would like it more. but sadly, for me, the more realistic the better. ;-)

11:51 PM  
Anonymous Blake said...

The last is the only one I'd ever hang. Jackson Pollack and Andy Warhol are so overrated.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Rob and Schaefer Bell said...

Almost thou persuadest me to enjoy abstract art... But I seriously can't appreciate it. I don't find the talent or the thought. Here's me rebuttal-
http://art-for-a-change.com/blog/2004/12/triumph-of-urinal.html

modern/abstract art- Hmmm.... estinky

6:28 PM  
Blogger Eve said...

I think it depends on the artist. I don't really love abstract art, but there are some pieces that I really like, but I totally agree with Blake about Pollock. Brian Reagan's opinion is hilarious- http://youtu.be/Mgr-SJzCj70

6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home