Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Stars at Night Are Big and Bright!


Deep in the heart of Texas!

That's how the song goes, anyway, right? That's the only thing I remember from "Pee Wee's Big Adventure." And I guess it's true; I'm from the South Central United States -- Oklahoma, remember? The skies are big, and the stars are bright. Thunderstorms are spectacular.

But why should I care about Texas?

Because after 18 years of living in Georgia, my parents are moving there; that's why. My dad got a new job at Texas A&M at San Antonio. Am I excited for them? Sure. I think it's a change my parents need. I am sad, though, to see them leave everything in Georgia behind. The house they live in now is the house I lived in for the majority of my life. Our cat Forrest is buried in the hill in the backyard. My mom and I laid the tile in the kitchen counter. My second oldest sister was married in the family room. Lexi and I camped out on the back deck with the kittens once.

It's amazing to me how attached we get to things. Humans have such a way of creating meaning and associating positive and negative emotions to inanimate objects. I don't think it's such a bad thing, but it is curious. Does it really matter, for example, that I will only spend a couple more nights in that house? I guess it doesn't. But hearing my mom talk about packing things up and throwing things out makes me sad.

Will my parents always be in San Antonio now?

One thing's for sure, Texas is the new home base. It's so strange to me. Texas. Tex-as. It just sounds weird.

BUT! You better believe I'll be visiting my parents in San Antonio and driving the four hours it takes to get to the Dallas-Ft. Worth area for Braum's hamburgers and chocolate milkshakes! My momma didn't raise no fool! :)


Thing I'm thankful for: prayer and guidance from Heavenly Father.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Blake said...

Go mom and dad!

7:45 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Texas is silly. Although, jobs are not.

And I think your mama would be proud.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Jason Kesler said...

Sara, I think you forgot the hand claps.

8:48 AM  
Blogger David and Jessica Wakefield said...

Just wanted to let you know that San Antonio is an awesome place to live! I would sooo move back and settle down there if I could! Hope you like it when you visit and that your parents love it there.

4:59 PM  
Blogger individually wrapped slices said...

Say hey to Erika and Zoe Ehlert. They live in TX! I also have a really good friend in the DFW area. Texans LOVE Texas. I'll let you know when I go there for a visit. Since, you know, Texas.

Also, Austin ... great music scene.

10:10 AM  
Blogger cardlady said...

We used to sing OOOOOOOO k la homa where the wind comes sweepin down the plain! Now the STARS are bright. But while in my beloved Georgia, when the song G EO RGIA comes on the radio, I love to sing along with it. We really are moving. I let all the adults throw out my past card life from the basement. So many ruined cards in the 10 foot damp crawl space. Only got to save a few machines. RATS! Back to packin. and Throwin. Mama Snow

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home