Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Call Me Google

I work in downtown Atlanta. When I am walking to or from my office building, people often stop and ask me for directions. Usually, they are in their cars and roll down their windows as they pull up to the sidewalk and hail my attention. Sometimes it happens at lunchtime, when I'm walking around Centennial Olympic Park or The Georgia Aquarium.

I've worked downtown for long enough that it's rare for me to not know where the person is headed. I like that. I like being able to give people directions, especially when they're women, and they have frantic looks on their faces. I smile and think, "Yeah, one-way streets are the pits. I'm glad I can get around the ninth largest metropolitan area in the country."

Yet I wonder. Why do people ask me for directions? Do I look especially knowledgeable? Do I look like I know where I'm going because I walk fast or with a sense of purpose? Maybe I just look friendly? Take a look at my profile picture to the left of the page. Do I look like a street-savvy girl to you? I submit to you that I do not. Why, then, do people often approach me with directional questions? I don't mind it, of course, but it is strange to me.


Thing I'm thankful for: breakfast. There's really nothing quite like Shredded Wheat Vanilla Almond in the morning.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dracoverde said...

Maybe you should carry maps with you that you could hand out.

7:33 PM  
Blogger bh said...

i think you just look friendly

also, vanilla almond shredded wheat is my favorite!

8:06 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Isn't it a good feeling? When I moved to Boston, the first time someone asked me for directions on the subway and I knew what to tell them, I felt like I'd finally arrived.

On the other hand, I gave someone wrong directions on Saturday, and it was on my own street, on which I live! I swear I was thinking 'turn right' in my head, but 'turn left' came out of my mouth. Blurgh.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

You look approachable, my dear, and that's a wonderful quality to have.

I try to look mean when I walk around for this very reason. I don't know where anything is and I suck at giving directions, so I try to discourage others from asking me by looking hateful and constipated.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Jacki said...

You look like a person who won't ask for money after you give them directions... or you won't yell at them either... But really, you look street savvy!

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home