Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Amen to that!

Here's an article I saw on msn.com today:
19 Things You Should Never Say to a Single Person.

What a list! Numbers 1 and 3 are the things I hear most often:
  • It happens when you're not looking.
  • So, why are you single?
In my family and social circle, though, this is how those statements are phrased:
  • You just have to be a "don't-wanter."
  • You're great! Why are you still single?!?

Both statements are equally ridiculous. I've discussed the second point before (See Emotion Explosion.). Honestly, I think I could have a lot of fun with this one. I should start saying things like, "Because I have a tail" or something equally fantastical. :)

I won't spend much time discussing the first statement, except to quote the explanation from the article: "This is just bull. Some people find people when they're looking; some don't." Good point. Nice logic.

Anyway, it's a funny article, and if you're single, you should especially read it because it's nice to know that other single people get these comments frequently and are also irritated by them. Single people, UNITE!!! :)


Thing I'm thankful for: my parents. They are two of my favorite people.

10 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Thank you!

I've always wondered what kind of answer someone is expecting when they ask me, "Why are you single?" Or, the popular rephrase, "So, do you have a boyfriend? Why not?"

And that "it happens when you're not looking" junk makes my ass twitch.

My other favorite (and yes, I'm going on a tangent) is when you talk to a friend who you've not spoken with in a while and they say excitedly, "So, are you interested in anyone right now?"

Look, if I were and it were important, you would know. Also, when you say, "No" they sound so disappointed, like you've failed.

This crap gets me all sorts of worked up, if you couldn't tell. I'm not saying I don't want to be in a relationship, but until I am, I'd rather not be treated like I'm broken.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Em T said...

Ha! When people gave me some variety of "why are you still single" I would usually say, "Because I'm mean and ugly." It often surprised them enough to shut them up completely.

"Wait, I still want to talk about me." —Elisa

Bawhahahahahaha!

11:40 AM  
Blogger bh said...

interesting... people never say stuff like that to me.

on a similar note, when i was home on a college break, one of my best friends from HS told me i was the ONLY person that didn't ask her if she had a boyfriend. i think there are much more interesting things to discuss with friends than some person i've never met.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Cherie (and sometimes Senor) said...

I discovered the beauty and twisted pleasure of random responses whilst I was preggo and people would ask rude or inappropriate questions. A witty, weird unexpected answer is just the thing to get the point across, inject some humor, and shut them up. I say try it out!!

5:16 PM  
Blogger Saule Cogneur said...

I'm with bh. People NEVER EVER say such things to me.

I guess the answer is clear enough after listening to me talk for 15 seconds.

Also, some people really do want to be single. I'm kind of annoyed that it's always treated as such an undesirable thing.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Saule Cogneur said...

One more thing.

I cannot possibly join your union of single peoples. I have no interest in community, but I guess you already knew that.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Jason Kesler said...

Yeah. Isn't single people uniting kind of antithetical?

8:29 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Hahahahahaha! :)

9:08 AM  
Blogger Mei said...

Hey Sara, thanks for your comments on my posts :-)

I am always being asked about my love life, or lack thereof. Does it make me any less of a person for not being in a relationship? And it's not like I don't want to be, I just haven't got to that point yet.

Yeah, the line about it happening when you're not looking, love comes along when you least expect it, blah blah blah! I've had a couple of experiences now when I've met someone completely out of the blue, and on paper he's perfect, and things still don't work out... sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. It's easy for those in happy relationships to spout stuff like this to us.

Single and sort of happy Mei in London x

4:53 PM  
Blogger Jacki said...

I tell you Sa, it will just happen when you aren't looking. Just be a "don't wanter" and it will happen.

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home