Thursday, December 28, 2006

The Letter R is Everywhere

On movies, that is. PG-13 movies are pretty bad lately, too. I just want to watch a good, clean movie that's not necessarily an animation. I dearly love Pixar, but sometimes I want to see real people not abusing drugs, not involved in casual sex, and not killing each other. I periodically check new movie trailers on Apple.com to decide from a one and a half-minute trailer whether a movie will pass my good and clean standards. Not surprisingly, these movies usually have enough junk in them to put at least one indicative shot in the trailer, and I can pretty accurately tell within a minute and a half that they will contain degrading material.

But today I found two movies that look like they're worth watching. It almost goes without saying that they're both from independent production companies. When a movie is classified as "indie," you can usually bet on one of two things:
  1. The movie will very much be rated 'R.'
  2. The movie will very much be rated 'G.'
It's either really bad or really good. Anyway, I think the following movies look really good, and I wish they would play at a theatre near me.

"Family Law"
"Sweet Land"


Thing I'm thankful for: Rice-A-Roni Spanish rice. Yum.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sara, it's Karmelle. Movie ratings are quite puzzling to me sometimes. Don't you hate it when you see a movie that's PG-13, but really you feel like it should have been R? Case in point - "Rent." It's PG-13, but several scenes scream R to me. On the other hand, I watched a movie last night that was R, that I thought could have been PG. "I Capture the Castle." I recommend the movie and book. (Shocking, I know, not only did I watch a rated R movie, I actually recommend it!)

7:43 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Actually, I have seen that movie, and it didn't seem like a rated 'R' movie to me, either. But they show the mom topless in one scene because she's into exhibitionism. Is it R-worthy? I dunno. Maybe that's why ratings are weird. I mean, some movies would be tough to judge, so I don't completely begrudge the MPAA.

Still, I question many of their decisions . . .

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When are we going to see Rocky Balboa? I saw it last weekend, and it was AWESOME -- and only rated PG! (For boxing violence. Which is so obviously, totally fake you can't take it seriously.)

Loves, Lauren T

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home