Friday, November 10, 2006

The Vocabulary of an Irish Twin

Okay, folks -- this is the last Irish Twin post for the year. I think the idea to have an Irish Twin-themed blog month was a good one, but very difficult to carry out. It's hard trying to write in sync with someone else. Add in Lexia's part-time job at Nobu -- where she works the night shift -- and you've got almost an impossible posting schedule. It's a shame; we had so many ideas. And now October is over, my many personal blog ideas are forgotten or outdated, and Lexi and I still have to wrap up the Irish Twin thing. Here's to more luck (and organization) next October!

For now, I'm going to do what I should've done in the beginning of October: introduce you to my Irish Twin, Lexia. So. This is my Lexia Dictionary:


Bolshevik -- Lexi's favorite word.

Brad Pitt -- Lexi's middle/high school love.

Britney Spears -- Lexi's look-alike. Lexi's impersonation of the singer/dancer is dead-on.

Feet-shuffling -- Lexi's form of walking.

Gumbi-esque -- Lexi's body type. In flexibility, not color. Synonyms: "loose as a goose," squishy, flexi-Lexi.

Gwen Stefani
-- another favorite for impersonations. Usually involves a wardrobe change into track pants, sports bra, heels and socks, ponytail, and red lipstick.

Hairbrush -- a device not used by Lexia.

"I'm just saying." -- the catch-all phrase Lexi uses at the end of an argument or discussion in which she has made her points, but clearly the other side isn't agreeing with her assessments. Sometimes used with a turn of the head or eye-rolling. Just is the emphasized word, and the tone is nonchalant.

"I'm organizing my room." -- the thing Lexia does and says a few days before she has a major school project due.

Jimmy Fallon -- Lexi's current love.

Mad hip-hop rhythm -- Lexi's favorite form of dance. Attributable to her ghetto booty.

Nanna, Ninky Nanna, Binkers, et al. -- nicknames for Sara. All are used in a higher-than-regular-pitch tone, except when Lexia is troubled about something in Life.

Pink -- Lexi's favorite color.

The Robot -- a favored dance. Always accompanied by the following song lyrics: "What have I, what have I, what have I done to deserve this?"

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups -- Lexi's favorite chocolate candy. The favored form is the miniature cup. An entire bag is the preferable serving size.

"Saraaaaa!" -- the exclamation that precedes the request "Will you [do the following] for me?"

Sexy Lexi, Le, Lex, et. al -- all nicknames for Lexia

The Shoulder Shrug -- the body movement that signals Lexia does not want to take the time to use words to speak to you. Various meanings are "whatever," "so," and "I don't care."

Socks -- items of clothing Lexi does not own.

Sparkles -- Lexi's favorite form of shine.

Starbursts -- Lexi's favorite fruity candy. Favorite flavor/color order is pink, red, yellow, and orange.

"Will you get me [a towel, a drink of ice water, soap, some clothes ready for cheerleading practice, etc.]?" -- the oft-repeated question in the 25 years she has known Sara.


What are my common sayings and favorite things, I wonder. Let's see what Lexi says.

Thing I'm thankful for: pumpkin bread.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lexia said...

I regret to inform you that the order of my favorite Starbursts are Pink, red, ORANGE, and yellow. I have often wondered why they don't make a bag just selling the pink and red.

This was too funny and yours was way better than mine. Maybe I misunderstood the assignment. :o)

Got nuthin' but luv for ya.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

You forgot, "I believe..." Lexia never says, "I think." It's always "I believe." Like what she's about to say has come from the depths of her soul. She doesn't think it. She beliiieves it.

That always cracks me up.

P.S. Yay for more posts. This was a good one. I approve. :)

2:05 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Thanks, Lauren -- I especially wanted you to like it, since you had your doubts in the beginning . . .

Now for some additions:

Charles and Ray Eames -- Lexi's favorite designers
The Figure Eight -- a dance movement Lexi created specifically for a David Bowie song.
Dark curly/wavy hair and pale skin -- two ingredients that make up Lexi's ideal man. Or you can just grab a Jewish guy.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Lexia said...

Um, if I could chime in here for a moment. I say "I FEEL..." a lot; not "I BELIIIIEVE." And on the rare occassion I use "I believe," it's because I've thought something through in every way possible (probably over an extended period of time/years) and agree whole-heartedly with all the results. Basically, a thought becomes a belief when I no longer have to think about it - all issues are in place and the thought is free to become a belief (or truth, if you will). I can't just throw certain words around.

I'm glad the depths of my soul crack you up Lauren. Someone has to.

And Sara, hellloooo Jake Hoffman!!! How do you feel about dating Gentiles?

:o)

11:50 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Uh, I'm not sure if you're pissed or not, Lexi, so I'll say this:

I was referring to our discussions concerning religion and stuff, so I expect you to say you believe. Alls I'm sayin' is that most people would use "I think," myself included. But maybe that's because I have a hard time believing.

Okay, wow. Didn't mean for this to turn into a philosphical debate about think/believe.

And I checked out Jake Hoffman. He's totally your type. TOTALLY.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Lexia said...

I'm not mad. I just like trying to explain myself. And yes, Jakers is "my type" in terms of appearance - but we all know "appearances can be deceiving," "looks aren't that important," "I'll probably end up with a short blonde-haired guy who works out a lot and wears tight spandex black shirts." Gross.

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home