Friday, October 06, 2006

Irish Twin Movie Quotes

I'm sure Lexi's written about this on her blog, but I'll tell you again: My Irish twin and I like to quote movies. A lot. But it doesn't end there. We try to recreate the accent and tone and body language, if we can. For example, I wouldn't say, "I'm BORED" without saying it with an English accent (Jude Law, Gattaca). And I wouldn't, under any circumstance, say, "HAROLD DOBBS!" without pointing my finger at someone to the right of me, if I could help it (Gwyneth Paltrow, Proof). Here are some more fun ones:

You've got your serious movies . . .

"He fights with something that I've never had. And I took it from him when I betrayed him, and I saw it in his face on the battlefield -- and it's tearing me apart." (Angus Macfadyen, Braveheart)

"Well, Dr. Marcia Fieldstone -- I'm gonna get out of bed in the morning . . . and breath in and out. And then, after a while, I won't have to remind myself to get out of bed in the morning and breath in and out. And then, after a while, I won't have to think about how I had it great and wonderful for a while." (Tom Hanks, Sleepless in Seattle)

"How could I love anyone more than I love my sisters?" (Winona Ryder, Little Women)

"Moses." (Anne Baxter, The Ten Commandments)

"You'll regret it -- maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow -- but soon and for the rest of your life." (Humphrey Bogart, Casablanca)


The romantic ones . . .

"You stay alive! No matter what occurs! I will find you!" (Daniel Day-Lewis, The Last of the Mohicans)

"What was that like, then? . . . You certainly didn't learn any manners on yer travels!" (Catherine McCormack, Braveheart)

"I don't want sunbursts or marble halls; I just want . . . you" (Megan Follows, Anne of Avonlea)

"I love you." (Carrie Fisher) "I know." (Harrison Ford, Star Wars, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back)

"You don't want to be in love. You wanna be in love in a movie." (Rosie O'Donnell, Sleepless in Seattle)

"I mean it. Just as soon as we get home, I never want to see you again." (Lauren Bacall, How to Marry a Millionaire)


The kid ones, which also fall into the 80's category for me . . .

"Child is no longer a child -- child is a MOUSE!" (Angelica Houston, The Witches)

"I'm sorry, Anne!" (Jonathan Crombie, Anne of Green Gables/Avonlea)

"Just fear me, love me, do as I say, and I will be your slave. . . . Then forget about the baby." (David Bowie, Labyrinth)

"You killed him wit' da shewz." (Henry Jones, The Bad Seed)


And the funny ones . . .

"I'm Elle Woods, and this is Brewser Woods, and we're both gemini vegetarians." (Reese Witherspoon, Legally Blonde)

"You don't think we mesh well togetha. Wait -- why am I even listening to you? You're a virgin who can't drive." (Brittany Murphy, Clueless)

"Now there are no rules in this house. I'm not like a regular mom; I'm a cool mom." (Amy Poehler, Mean Girls)

"WAIT! Before you say anything else, I need you to know that I am also reading the dictionary! What letter are you on?" (Michael Showalter, The Baxter)

"You . . . complete me." (Tom Cruise, Jerry Maguire)

"Okay . . . but she's awful good with a quarter." (Marilyn Monroe, How to Marry a Millionaire)

"Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera!" (Yul Brynner, The King and I)


And a course you gotchyer John Hughes movies -- they're in a class of their own . . .

"Blane??? His name is Blane? That's not a name; that's a major appliance!" (Jon Cryer, Pretty in Pink)

"Applause, applause, applause." (Annie Potts, Pretty in Pink)

"The only things I care about in this [expletive deleted] life are me, and my drums, and you." (Mary Stuart Masterson, Some Kind of Wonderful)

"What's hanging up in that church, huh? My soul? No, it's my face. Paint it whatever picture you want. It's still you using me." (Lea Thompson, Some Kind of Wonderful)

"KEVIN!!!" (Catherine O'Hara, Home Alone)


I think I kinda went overboard with this post. (Hey, that's another good one -- Overboard. See? I can't stop!) Believe it or not, I could go on like this all night. But I won't. Just know that the quotes you see above come from some of my most favorite movies of all time (minus "Jerry Maguire" -- although, I think that movie has a very good message). If you haven't seen them, you should check them out. Now. (And these, too. But not these.)

Watcha got, Lex? Let's see what she has to say about movie quotes . . .

Thing I'm thankful for: if you've read through this entire post. I know it's not some people's idea of fun. So thanks.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lexia said...

I was going to put some of the same quotes on my list ("Some Kind Of Wonderful" and "Clueless") but I couldn't remember the exact phrase. And how could I have forgotten "MOSES." That's quite possibly my favorite one.

OOOH, I just thought of another gem:
"Chicago?!? I think it's the Berries, Norman!" from A River Runs Through It

I would ALSO like to mention that I enjoyed seeing how you organized your thoughts and displayed your quotes. We are so similar, yet so very different.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Jacki said...

You guys are too much! I am truely entertained!

10:06 PM  
Blogger Heather S. said...

Sara- I love you, you know that right? (As I am writing this, my inner dialouge has a New York accent.) You melt my butta, and now I'm a little vaklempt. Here's a topic; The Patridge Family- they're neitha partridges OR a family. DISCUSS.

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You Both GET me so! I love that you love movies like I love the classic movies! It is such fun. I quote you and Lexia all the time to my friends. I always forget my sign in name, you know who this is? Its your mutha. hahahhaha MOM Snow

7:52 PM  
Blogger Doug Manning said...

I also enjoy great movie quotes. I post a new inspirational quote from the movies every day at www.ReelLifeWisdom.com. Some of the quotes may be of interest to your readers.

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home