Monday, January 28, 2013

Singing Time

In church this afternoon, I sat behind a guy and a girl who are dating.  I think they've been a couple for a while, too, so I assume they're fairly comfortable with each other, especially when it comes to sitting next to each other in church.  They must be more than happy to share personal space, right?  Imagine my surprise, then, when during the closing hymn, I noticed that they both picked up a hymnal and did not share!  There they sat, singing alone -- next to each other.

Is it just me, readers, or is that kinda odd?  This is what I expect when I'm sitting next to anyone in church: sharing hymnbooks during singing time.  Either one or both of you can hold the hymnal, but while you sing, you sing from the same book.  Period.  Sometimes -- and I think it's rare -- you can tell that people don't really want to share, and in that case, you just move on and share with the person on the other side of you or sing without having to share at all.  Still, if you are dating the person sitting next to you, it seems like sharing hymnals is a given.

Please, weigh in on this, guys and gals.  What do you think?


Thing I'm thankful for: playful teasing and laughing

6 Comments:

Blogger cardlady said...

Ditto! You are right on. I go further in saying it is important for parents to share and sing/teach the children to sing the hymns with them.
Mom

2:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

One exception I can think of is when one of the people has such poor vision that they can't see the words if the hymn book is far enough away for another person to see. Sometimes I can get away with sharing but sometimes I can't.

4:49 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I don't share the hymnal unless necessary.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Bubbles are a concept that's a little beyond me. Yes, it seems reasonable that most people dating each other would share a hymnal. But there might be any number of explanations for why they weren't sharing. Maybe one of them is sick and they're keeping a little distance. Maybe Ed's suggestion was spot on. Maybe it was something else.

Sara, if you ever sit next to me in church, I'll share a hymnal with you.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Ed and Jeff, thanks for sharing your thoughts/habits. These are the kind of comments I like. :)

And thanks to you, too, Petey. We can definitely share a hymnal, but don't judge my singing too harshly -- I'm no MoTabber . . . :/

12:17 PM  
Blogger Amanda Leigh said...

In my experience, sharing a hymnal is one of the best excuses to scoot a little closer together. Just sayin. I also love that you blogged about this; you're definitely a dedicated blogger Sara.

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home