Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I'll have the . . .

. . . Peanut Chicken?

I like peanuts and peanut sauce, so that's what I ordered last night when I went to dinner with some friends.  It was good, but not nearly as tasty as "Drunken Noodles" or "Java Special."  As I dug into the piles of food everyone shared, I found myself thinking about how I always play it safe when ordering food.  I let other people get the adventurous stuff, and even though I consistently like my food, I also don't consistently love my food.

It's not a contest.  It's not about who can order the best dish, but . . . isn't it?  People usually give adventurous eaters and foodies gastronomical high-fives, and I'll be the first to admit that I'm jealous.  The baker in me knows what good dessert should look and taste like, but when it comes to entrees, I'm at a loss.  I don't always know what spices go with what, and I'm often unsure about which food combinations are the best.

It doesn't matter, really, but once -- just once -- I want to have the best plate at the table.

(Apparently I am really concerned with this.  I wrote a similar post earlier this year.  See Bon Vivant.)


Thing I'm thankful for: being done with summer school

1 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

i'm not too adventurous when it comes to cooking because i've had some somewhat rough experiences forcing myself to eat less than delicious leftovers for three days straight, but i'm totally that adventurous person when it comes to eating out. i love to try stuff that i would never be able to cook for myself. like last week when we were out to eat with chris's family at old spaghetti factory. we were a big group and almost everyone ordered regular spaghetti or noodles with one of their "choose two of four" sauces. but i got the jumbo crab ravioli with pesto alfredo sauce. it was stuffed with crab meat and ricotta and my oh my was it delicious. so while everyone at the table LIKED their food, i was the only one that was absolutely raving with every bite.

chris is one of those people that gets spaghetti, chicken tenders, or fajitas every time we go out to eat. it kinda drives me crazy but it works for him because that's what he loves. it sounds like it's not working for you though so just read every item description on the menu, and pick the craziest thing that sounds good (i'm a sucker for anything with bacon, avocado, cream sauce, crab/lobster, chowder/bisque or special cheeses)and enjoy the ride! i almost NEVER am less than overwhelmingly satisfied with my choice so i hope that gives you some confidence! good luck cousin sara!

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home