Friday, June 22, 2012

Why Women Still Can't Have It All

Today I read perhaps the best article I've read all year.  It's called Why Women Still Can't Have It All.  It's all about balancing work and family life.  Yes, it's written for women, but it's also directed at men as well.  The gist is that the world needs to start valuing family responsibility and success as much as success in professional and political spheres.

The article reminds me of something President David O. McKay, 9th president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, said in 1935:  "No other success can compensate for failure in the home."  More than 85 years later, we are still finding that to be true.  Anne-Marie Slaughter, the author of the article, echoed McKay's statement:
As a daughter of Charlottesville, Virginia, the home of Thomas Jefferson and the university he founded, I grew up with the Declaration of Independence in my blood. Last I checked, he did not declare American independence in the name of life, liberty, and professional success. Let us rediscover the pursuit of happiness, and let us start at home.

When I read that, I wanted to make everyone in the world read it, too.  That's pretty much impossible, but I'm starting here on my little blog.  Read it.  Read it soon, and let the ideas sink into your bones.


Thing I'm thankful for: my parents, as usual.  They were and are great examples to me.


1 Comments:

Blogger cardlady said...

Thank you dear last child, Sara.
You truly are our "Josephine" in a coat of many colors. THANKS! Love YOU TOO! You are doing just what you should be doing right now.

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home