Monday, December 25, 2006

Merry Christmas!

I wanted to post a picture of my first Christmas tree -- it's so pretty! I forgot to e-mail a picture of it to myself while I was at my apartment, and now I'm home with my parents so I can't take another picture. Instead, here's their tree:


Isn't it nice? Notice the presents underneath. The fact that we have even one is reason to be thankful, but it really isn't a lot for a family that's used to having a mound of presents for at least eight people every year. I remember unwrapping presents for what seemed like the whole morning when I was little. Of course, parents can get away with wrapping candy or puzzles or small games and things when kids are young. As we grow, presents cost more, and we inevitably get fewer of them. That, combined with the fact that it's just four of us now -- Mom, Dad, Lexi, and me -- leaves few presents we can actually open tomorrow. (Many of the presents are for family members who are away.)

I guess what I'm trying to express is that it's okay. Hopefully by the time we're "grown up," having fewer presents is fine with us. Hopefully we've learned the joy of giving and receiving and what this holiday really means. I'm talking about being with loved ones and celebrating life with them. And I'm talking about the gift of eternal life and salvation from the savior Jesus Christ that allows us the chance to be with those loved ones forever, even after death. I have two parents, five brothers and sisters, four brothers- and sisters-in-law, and five nieces and nephews who I love more than anyone I've ever known, and the prospect of leaving them when I die is the most depressing one I could imagine. Thankfully, Christ has made that prospect null and void. I can't think of a better gift.

So to my mom, I say: If you're reading this, it's fine that I don't have a lot of presents under the tree. I don't think any one of your kids really cares about presents anymore. But it's cute that you want to give so much anyway.

To my family: I love you.

And to everyone else: Merry Christmas. I hope you're spending it with the ones you love.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sara,
Thank you! You are growing up! It is nice that you get the whole meaning of Christmas and giving now. You got it when you were young. Shall I go out and wrap the doll house we never did, which has a billion pieces and I really thought I could put 2 together the night before Christmas in 1987? hahahahahh I will wrap it again. Love MOM You are the bestest ever!

11:23 AM  
Blogger Jacki said...

Love you too Sara! You really are a great woman who I look up to! Merry Christmas.

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home