Friday, May 25, 2012

Nothing is Final

In the summer of 1998, an old fable with a clever twist was projected onto the silver screen.  Generation X women remember it as Ever After: A Cinderella Story, and they are able to quote at least a couple of lines from it.  They remember Dougray Scott's fifteen minutes of fame as Prince Charming and Drew Barrymore's wonderful performance in the title role.  They recall the ornate dresses and hairstyles, the angel wings, and Da Vinci's painting.

I remember all of those things myself, but more than anything else, I remember a line from Angelica Huston, who plays the evil step-mother.  She says, "Nothing is final until you're dead, and even then, I'm sure God negotiates."

Here, watch it yourself (at the 5:30 mark):



I'll write it again, so you can let it sink into your bones:
Nothing is final until you're dead, and even then, I'm sure God negotiates.

Although I believe there are some basic moral rules everyone should live by, I also believe that Ms. Step-Mother was right.  I believe in a God who encourages change, but who knows how long he'll give each one of us to actually change?  I like to believe that it will be longer than we live on this earth.


Thing I'm thankful for: movies!

2 Comments:

Blogger Lyndel said...

loved this post :) Thanks for the reminder.

11:43 PM  
Blogger cardlady said...

AGAINNNNah! A beautiful observation you brought to our attention. THANKS love YOU MOM

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home