Friday, March 16, 2012

SXSW 2012, Part 1



This is fun.. The band fun.. fun. Such a confusing name, no? They would punctuate their name like that, though, because they're Brooklyn hipsters. I think. I know they are from New York City, and by the way the singer ran his fingers through his hair every two minutes, I'm guessing they hale most recently from Williamsburg. ;)

Despite Nate Ruess's dramatic and affective singing, though, I like fun. They play the increasingly popular We Are Young. The first time I heard it, I loved it, so when I discovered they were playing for free this year at SXSW, I jumped at the chance to go. It was my first show of the week, and the band did not disappoint. They have a good, clean sound that is more upbeat and rockin' than so many bands these days. I'm getting tired of mellow music lately. Maybe it's me, maybe it's the weather, or maybe it's both. Whatever it is, I just want to get up and dance or sing at the top of my lungs, and you can't really do that with mellow music.


Thing I'm thankful for: sunny days in Austin

2 Comments:

Blogger kyns said...

Fun fact: Nate Ruess used to be the singer for The Format. We used to listen to The Format in art class in high school. So his voice reminds me of having a crush on my art teacher and not doing my assignments, as per usual.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Gretchen Alice said...

Actually, the main guy (Nate) is from Arizona! :)
And you'd really like The Format, I think. Their album "Dog Problems" is maybe in my top ten.

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home