Monday, May 23, 2011

Spicy Food

When did spicy food become the "in" thing?

Today I met up with a friend for lunch at Chuy's, a popular Tex-Mex restaurant in Austin and apparently Texas at large. (It's pronounced "CHEW-ease," in case you're wondering.) I saw that the special of the day, chicken enchiladas, were packed with green chiles. Consequently, I assumed the dish would be spicy, though I didn't know just how spicy. So I asked the waiter about it. He said, "Oh, are you a wimp?" I don't know how I answered, but when he brought some sauce for me to try, I decided to have a go of it. It wasn't too bad. So I ordered the plate. But as I was eating it, though, I couldn't really enjoy the subtler flavors because of all the hot spiciness!

Anyway, it left me wondering about spicy food. Why is it so posh to like spicy food, and when did it become such? Why is it considered wimpy to not like it? It's not just the waiter, either; I have friends who think I'm unadventurous because I don't like extremely spicy food. And it seems that food is either "spicy" or "not spicy." But there are all kinds of spices; I just happen to dislike the hot ones! I don't think that makes anyone better than me. :/


Thing I'm thankful for: water

5 Comments:

Blogger Melanie said...

I've eaten at Chuy's before, it is my friend's absolute favorite place to go, but I personally was not impressed. I also don't like spicy food and everyone thinks the same thing about me, or they say "oh it's not so bad" and to me it is! I just don't like my mouth being on fire when I eat! :) P.S. Every time you write a blog post about the things you are doing in Texas, I get a little jealous because I want to move out there so much! :)

3:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is why I always get the texmex sauce.

3:49 PM  
Blogger cardlady said...

YOU know I love spicey, but getting older, it messes with your digestive system. BUT green chile enchiladas, sound wonderful right now. Love YOU, MOMMY

11:27 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Texas is known for spicy! I have a friend from Texas and there is apparently no such thing as too spicy!

4:23 PM  
Blogger Cherie (and sometimes Senor) said...

I am not a tolerant one of spicy foods in the "hot pepper" sense of spicy. I've been told I'm wimpy...I don't care. I'm the one who has to enjoy my food and live with it going through my body later. I'm okay with my lack of "Adventure" in that regard. Senor on the other hand will eat foods that make him sweat and his eyes water profusely. Not even kidding. I sat and ate Naan at an Indian restaurant one night while he literally cried and sweated through his meal. The waiter was very disconcerted that I was not eating a real meal...but I was happy and Senor was too! So eat what you like and live your life that way you want to Sara Snow!!

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home