Sunday, April 24, 2011

Pete Yorn!

Okay -- so this post is a week overdue. Still, I wanted to document it . . . Also, I have a weird obsession with taking concert photos, and I wanted to share some of my work, if only to give you a sense of the lighting for this show -- it was wonderful! (I feel that lighting is the mark of a well-seasoned band.)

So my friends Carrie, Carrie, Brittini, and Steven went to the show with me. Pete Yorn's heyday was sometime in 2001, so I didn't know if anyone would remember the music and want to go with me, but I was glad these four friends wanted to come along.


The opening band was called The Wellspring . . . Although they were good, I don't have any pictures of the whole band. I do, however, have pictures of the lead singer because I thought she looked like a grown-up version of Marcia Brady. Doesn't she?


The next band was a one-man show, Ben Kweller, who I had heard was excellent. And he was. I imagine he spent most of his teenage years perfecting his talent . . . You know the type -- skinny, nerdy-cool, extremely smart, and seemingly really lazy because all he did was hole up in his parents' basement and play until the early-morning hours.


Pete Yorn was also excellent. He played a lot of old stuff, which was nice because I hadn't heard his knew songs yet.


My Rothko-inspired light art. :)



There was a time when he invited Ben Kweller back onto the stage, and the music went completely jam-band style. The four of them must've been playing for 7-10 minutes straight. I thought about how my brother-in-law would've loved it.


You can't really tell in this picture, but the bassist seemed like a truly happy guy. He had a goofy smile on his face the whole time, and it reminded me of something my bass-playing brother, Brooks, said: "Bassists are always the steady one of the band. They just like to hang in the background and have fun playing."


So it was a good concert. I'm glad I went. Austin really does have some great live music . . .


Thing I'm thankful for: being home

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Cook said...

Oh, I love Ben Kweller so much! We've seen him like 4 times. So glad you're liking it there and hearing such good music! :)

12:41 AM  
Anonymous Jessica deRenzy said...

I think I am too young (or un-informed) to know who Pete Yorn is, but I have heard of Ben Kweller. I didn't think he would be my type (not usually into that whole skinny, nerdy-cool genre of music), but I actually enjoy his songs for the most part. There are a few songs that I really love.

It's great that you got to see that concert and had such a great time.

5:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home