Sunday, January 09, 2011

Gone to Texas, Part One


Every time I see inches of snow covering the world around me, I think of Dr. Zhivago. All is peaceful and breathtaking. I always want it to snow. Until tonight.

It's the first time I've ever not wanted to see snow. I had planned to drive to Texas tomorrow morning, and my plans have now been thwarted. Here's what happened (as told to my roommate Carrie, via e-mail):

I must have been living under a cave or too busy packing this week to not know just how bad this winter storm was going to be. Had I known, I would've just left church early today to make sure the drive to Carrollton was safe . . . BUT. I still had to load my car, which took a lot longer than I thought. Thankfully, I had Carolyn and Chelsea to help me, but it still began to snow just as I drove away. I thought I'd be okay, but what I didn't realize was that the storm was coming from the west. Believe me when I say that I have never been so scared in my life (even when I hid under the blankets at night to shield myself from UFOs). Really, I prayed like I haven't in a while, and I even cried a bit. I didn't know whether I should turn around and go back home, but then, I didn't really want to spend a lonely night and entire day stuck in an empty, roommate-less house. (I didn't even really get a chance to say goodbye to it because I had to try to beat the snow. That's sort of sad . . .)

And beat the snow, I didn't. I was okay on I-85 South, but as soon as I got to I-20, I knew I had made a mistake by leaving tonight. The road was completely covered -- I couldn't see the lane divisions at all. There wasn't much traffic, which is amazing in Atlanta. Everyone just sort of drove in their own, made-up lanes, and there were spots where cars had slid or driven off the road and couldn't get themselves unstuck. At one point, ice started building up on my windshield, and I came very close to driving off the road into a very large ditch. My body was so tense that my back ached. Add to that -- my possessions piled high behind me; I couldn't see out of any windows in the back at all.

I arrived safely, though, to my brother's house in Douglasville. It took me about an hour and a half to drive 30 miles.

So I'm stuck in Douglasville for at least Monday and possibly Tuesday. Hopefully, I can drive to Carrollton in the afternoon on Tuesday and spend the night there with my sister and her family and leave on Wednesday. At any rate, I'm not leaving until at least Wednesday. I am actually pretty bummed about that. I don't know about registering for classes now, and I won't have as much time to set up my new place. :/

Here's one final thought: I don't think it was wise to leave my house tonight. If I had paid attention to the Spirit, I probably wouldn't have left. But I was determined to be with my family on such a cold, snowy night. And so -- Heavenly Father let me choose the wrong. And then He helped me fix it. I'm thankful for my family for praying for my safety. (My brother says I may have overreacted, but it was pretty bad out there, and I have never driven in so much snow!)


Thing I'm thankful for: answered prayers

9 Comments:

Blogger Tunes & Spoons said...

john and i drove in that weather to my parents house tonight after we left the zimmerman's. it was awful. i literally prayed that we would make it ok the whole time. we could not see the road at all at some points. it was truly terrifying.

i'm sorry your plans have been thwarted. see how bad georgia wants you to stay. this whole snow storm was for you sara snow. to keep you here.

snow so that snow can't leave.

be safe out there. i'm glad i got one extra goodbye today.

12:26 AM  
Blogger Genevieve Jones said...

Oh it was a bad, dear. I am SO glad you made it safely. I almost was stuck on a hill between Marietta and my house and was SO scared. Also kind of determined and rebellious and went around the cars stopped in front of me and kept pushing my little car and doing whatever felt right - and I made it! I honestly have a pretty cool sense of accomplishment - although now I am even more timid at trying to get to work. O.o So many hills...

5:25 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

Sara! You poor thing...In your defense, you've had a lot on your mind. I'm sure if you call your GC (guidence counselor) at UT she'll help you out about scheduling for classes. I'm bummed for you, that you have to wait, but glad that you DID! I hope your car is also behaving itself?? HUGs!

6:24 AM  
Blogger Em T said...

I wouldn't have wanted to drive in it. The problem with the south is that it's usually snowing when it's just barely cold enough to snow. So there's a lot more sleet, ice, slippery stuff, then up north when it's 15 degrees.... and then they sand, salt, plow the roads...

I'm glad you made it ok though and I'm sorry we didn't make it Saturday. Anne flipped out early and ended up in bed by 7pm:(

8:42 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

oh sara snow! i was terrified just READING your story!

glad you're alive. live it up in douglasville!

12:11 PM  
Blogger cardlady said...

Oh, I was about to call you that morning and dad too. But we were worrying about giving our introduction talks in church that morning. Then when you called, we worried and Summer heard it in my voice and said calm down mom. Calm down. I got off and just began praying for angels to guide and help you, my angel! So glad you made it! Love you. Cant wait to see you. mommydaddy

12:42 PM  
Blogger cardlady said...

Love your picture of Dr Zhivago. Where did you get it? Google?

12:44 PM  
Blogger Jacqueline said...

Glad you made it safely. Are you still in Douglasville or have you tried to leave?

3:38 PM  
Blogger Cecilia said...

I heard the weather was terrible, I love your comment about how the Lord lets us choose wrong sometimes and then helps us through to make it right (sounds like my entire dating life that got me to my awesome husband). You are amazing. Good luck with college!

4:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home