Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Pt. 1


Who didn't like this movie??? I loved it! I thought the dark and sinister look of the film cast the perfect ambiance. It gave the story a desperate and cold tone that matched exactly with the story in Book 7, and yet it still felt like a Harry Potter movie. I thought the length of the movie was wonderful, too -- it just kept going and going. There's not a lot I like more than a long, good movie. I also thought the director emphasized all the right scenes; though admittedly, I don't remember the book very well anymore.

My favorite part* of the entire movie, though, was most definitely the animated sequence about The Tale of the Three Brothers. The animation was just phenomenal. It looked more like a play with shadow puppets. There's not much more I can say about it, except that I was absolutely enthralled with that part of the movie.

It's definitely a movie that sets up everything for the final part in the series. It's not a movie that I would want to randomly watch again, as I do sometimes with Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. As a whole, though, it is such a well-made movie. I have friends who thought it was just okay, and honestly, I really can't understand why . . . I know there were some complaints about the Harry and Hermione kissing scene. Maybe I was expecting it to be much worse after I heard a friend say it was superfluous. I suppose it was a bit much, but it wasn't as horrible as I had expected, either.

All in all, I'd give the movie 5 out of 5 stars. A faithful adaptation. And now I'm so excited for Part 2!


*My least favorite part was the scene with Ginny Weasley. She asks Harry to zip up the back of her dress. Cheesy. I did not like it at all. Not at all.


Thing I'm thankful for: being able to see movies on a weeknight. What a treat!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Superfluous? Who says stuff like that?

Sounds like your friend has some serious emotional attachment issues with the books. Maybe he/she meant superfluous in reference to the context and prospective audience.

I thought the zipping up the dress part was pretty cheesy, too.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Saule Cogneur said...

You're the first person I know who sincerely liked it. Just about everyone else said it was just a long trailer for the next movie - only with less action.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

In my opinion, people are too obsessed with action in movies. What's wrong with wandering and talking? That's what most of life is about, anyway.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Genevieve Jones said...

I honestly loved it, too, Sara. :) And I feel ya on the zippin' up the dress part.. I was like whaaaaat... hahah and the whole horcux fake making out - for me it was a little more unexpected than horrible. I feel like they could have done it a little differently - but I still loved the movie. I was also super proud of myself for accurately guessing where they were going to end part 1.

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home