Friday, August 07, 2009

Movie Review: Julie & Julia


Ingredients
1 girl on boy hiatus
1 girl with steady boyfriend/fiance?
1 girl tired of romantic comedies, movies based on comic books, and action/adventure
1 pint Blue Bell Pistachio Almond
3 tickets to Julie & Julia

Directions
Combine and enjoy!

Hahaha! What an ingenious post, eh? I bet there is no movie reviewer in the world as clever as I just was. ;)

But seriously, folks, this movie was wonderful. An absolute delight. Actually, I think I'm going to make a bold statement and say that this is the best movie of the year, including the next five months . . . Every actor was great, Chris Messina is a cute new Hollywood face, and the dialogue was clever and sweet but not overly sentimental. It was also nice to see a movie where love and sex happen between married people and that those married people stay married!

The movie cuts back and forth between Julie's life and Julia's, but it's so seamless and makes for an interesting blurring of time, which is something I typically like in a story. It's essentially a biography of two cooks, and I suppose it could just end there. For me, though, it emphasized something I've been thinking a lot about lately, which is that people need -- well, I need -- direction and purpose in life. And that direction and purpose can be something simple, but you have to get going! Don't be bored with your life! Do something! And do it now!

All that from a movie? Yes, all that from a movie. Well, a movie and some previous study and reflection.

I'm not sure if it's a chick flick or not, but I don't think so . . . Guys, tell me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, watch it!


Thing I'm thankful for: girlfriends who buy me pistachio ice cream (and a spoon!) and hide it in their purses to bring in the theater.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Amy said...

I am glad to know it's a good movie. I'm sorry I couldn't go with you, but I'll have to watch it sometime.
I think you are completely right; our lives do need some direction and purpose even if it's simple. It helps me feel like I am contributing to the world. That, and I find I am happiest when I am moving forward in life and I feel that it is hard to do if you don't have direction and purpose.
P.S. I love that you close each of your blogs with something you are grateful for!!

7:45 PM  
Blogger michele said...

I think I know which of the three girls you were--who were the others? I wish I could have gone to that movie with you, how fun! I'll have to talk John into watching it with me when we get home.

I love reading your blog Sara! I have lots of other things I should be doing with my computer time right now, but I just wanted to see what you've been writing lately!

6:09 AM  
Blogger BingFonder said...

Your post was the most creative and ingenious ever! Nice creativity and theme play! A + + + + ...

12:39 AM  
Blogger Lexia said...

Ha! Ha! That was awesome. Such a clever intro.

8:45 PM  
Blogger michele said...

Hey Sara, I finally watched this movie! John and I got it from the RedBox tonight. I LOVED it. It was inspiring for me! John said that it's not a chick flick. He liked it because the characters kept doing things that reminded him of me (and him, too sometimes). Thanks for the suggestion!!

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home