Friday, June 01, 2007

Bomb Threats: Dangerous or Life-Saving?

Let me just explain once again that I work in the "unexciting" Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. It's not the one you read about in the news, usually. Front page news covers the Center for Infectious Diseases like SARS and Ebola and TB.

Imagine my surprise today when the fire alarm sounded in my building at 10:00 am. No one was prepared for a drill . . . Turns out, the CDC building I work in had a bomb threat. We had to evacuate to the parking lot, where we waited in the hot sun while firemen checked the building. Half an hour later, security sent in the search dogs, and they said it would be a while before we could even enter the building again. So most people went to an early lunch. Me? I am home, waiting for Amy to come over so that we can eat lunch.

Maybe a bomb threat is dangerous, but I have to say that I really needed a break today. I've really needed a break for the last week, really. And maybe it's insensitive for me to have this kind of attitude, but if I have to go back to work in such a volatile atmosphere, I may as well make the situation as light as I can . . .


Thing I'm thankful for: the wonderful friends I've made in the last year. I hope they know how very much they mean to me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sara, it's wrong to call in a bomb threat just so you can take a break from work. ;-)

2:31 PM  
Blogger jet said...

I hear ya sista. I'm glad you survived. :)

2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home