Monday, March 19, 2007

Prego???

I'm probably going to offend somebody by writing this, but I must let it out!

I always understood Prego to be a brand of spaghetti sauce or Italian for "you're welcome", but somewhere in the last two years, the brand name became an adjective. Somehow it now means "to be pregnant."

What I'd like to know is how and why? What is the etymology behind this usage? I suspect it started with a TV show -- probably "Will & Grace" or something. It was supposed to be cute and catchy, and apparently it is catchy. But cute? I dunno. I mean, "pregnant" is not that long of a word; does it really have to be shortened? Why can't people just say the word pregnant? It makes me wonder if the first person who used prego was trying to hide something. I mean, c'mon, ladies! If you're pregnant; announce it to the world! Say it loud! Preg-NANT!


Thing I'm thankful for: pecan waffles at Waffle House. Yummy in my tummy!

4 Comments:

Blogger Heather S. said...

You are too funny! I have to admit- I've been victim to using this term... and I agree, it is not more difficult to say the rest of the word, whilst dropping the "O". Another ones I've heard that annoys me more is "preggers". Ew.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Jacki said...

I like "Prego". I think that I can visualize a "prego" lady better than a "pregnant" lady. I like nicknames for anything. Being pregnant is cute, so talk about it in a cute way. "Prego", "Preggers", "Preg-Preg". Much more fun than saying "Pregnant" or "with child". BORING!!!

9:20 AM  
Blogger Leezy Lindsey said...

I think I'm with you on this one Sara. The first time I heard someone say "Prego" it rubbed me the wrong way. I have yet to use that word to describe someone who is pregnant.

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like "preggers"; I think it is kind of cute. But "prego", not so much -- always reminds me of tomato sauce.

6:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home