Thursday, February 22, 2007

I was Born to be a Drummer!

Just call me John Bonham.

Well, not quite, but I will say this: I have always loved his killer drum solo in "Moby Dick." Now I feel like I know why. It's because I love the drums. I love drumming.

About 4 or 5 months ago, my friend Jared Kranendonk taught me how to play the very, very basics on the drum kit. I loved it then, but it was pretty tough. It's completely different from the instrument I used to play, the clarinet. :) Well, on Monday night, I had the chance to go to Jared's house for a second time, so I used it to practice what I had learned those several months ago. And yesterday, I went over there again, and he taught me something new! He also taught me how to drum to Hip Hop music! Cool!

As I sat there drumming the same beats over and over again -- hey, I've gotta get the basics down pat -- I realized that I had found a new passion. The funny thing is, is that I have hardly any coordination skills. Somehow, though, I think I "get" drumming. Of course I'm not even close to brilliant, but Jared said I was pretty good. Who knows what he really thinks, but he did invite me to play again and said he would teach me more. YESSSSS!

So the night wore on, and I decided that if I were in a classic rock band, I would be a drummer. I don't need to be in the limelight. Behind the band, hidden by a wall of drums is where I'd want to be. Everybody needs the beat for a song, but it's not usually what people pay attention to. Nobody really listens to the beat, but when it's missing, you know something's wrong. That's a lot like my personality, I think -- not a showstealer, but nonetheless important. And I'm okay with that. In fact, I love that. It can be frustrating at times, but I love it.

And I LOVE drumming.


Thing I'm thankful for: Jared's super hospitality. :)

6 Comments:

Blogger kelly said...

Yeah, if I were in a band I would be a bassist or a drummer. That's where it's at, you're basically leading the band. Good stuff, Sara...rhythm is key.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Heather S. said...

I agree with Kelly, I LOVE the bass. It has and always will be my favorite. To me, it's like the meat of the stew. I know- dumb analogy... but you get my point. Unless of course, you're a vegitarian... then you might not.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Yeah. I think I'd like to be a drummer, too. Girl drummers are hot. Heck, all drummers are hot.

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi lovvie -- did you know I played the drums in high school? You do now! Hugs, Lauren T.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Lexia said...

Singer, in the lime-light, communicates with the crowd, holds a guitar, dances, wears funky clothes, that's what I would want to be in a band. I don't think I would play the drums because I can't sit still when I hear music. I have to be standing front and center movin' to the groove.

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hes prolly jus trynna smash

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home