Thursday, December 07, 2006

Sawa: Not Just a Nickname Anymore

So I called Prometrics today to reschedule my GRE. I'm just not prepared to take it. Yet. But I will be. Bright and early on January 13th, I will wow the test graders and graduate admissions staff alike!

What's the point of this post, you ask? Well, on the phone I had to give the lady my e-mail address. Now, for those of you who don't know, "sawa" is part of my e-mail address. (Don't you like my trickery in not giving the address away?) People often get a confused look on their faces when I tell them my address. I have to say it, spell it out, say it again, and finally, explain to them that it's a nickname that my family calls me. (If I know they're into movies, I will tell them it comes from "Labyrinth.")

Well, I did the same thing for the Prometrics lady today. She checked and re-checked that she had heard me right by repeating it to me. She said something like, "Hm." So I thought she was probably struggling to find the reason I would have an e-mail address like that.

Later, we were waiting for my information to "go through the system," and she asked me again if my e-mail address was indeed correct. I told her it was, and she said, "That's very interesting. In my country, "sawa" means togetherness. Did you know that?" I said that no, I did not, and we got into a short conversation about where she's from. One of her parents is Portuguese and one is from Jordan, which is where she grew up. And in Jordan -- when you mean the word "together" -- you say "sawa." Pretty neat, huh?

So in Hebrew, my name means "princess," and in Arabic, my nickname means "together." Maybe I'm a princess who's got it together? Or a princess who holds everything together? Or maybe I not even a princess, really. :(

I thought that was fun and neat, anyway. If you want to find out what your name means, you may be able to find it at "Behind the Name."

Thing I'm thankful for: my name. I like it. It fits me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lexia said...

Or a princess whose blog brings people together! HA! That's so you. You do bring and keep people together. I love that Sawa has a deeper meaning than simply Ludo's mispronunciation.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Jacki said...

There is no one in the world that represents togetherness better than you SAWA!

8:54 PM  
Blogger Jacki said...

"Marriage is what brings us SAWA today!"- The Princess Bride

"Sawa forever, never apart. Maybe in distance but never at heart."- anonymous

“I think we dream so we don't have to be apart so long. If we're in each other's dreams, we can be SAWA all the time.” -Calvin & Hobbes

“City life is millions of people being lonesome SAWA.” -Henry David Thoreau

"There is no 'I' in SAWA" -Jacki Snow

Oh I could go on all day!

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home