Sunday, December 03, 2006

Holiday Work Party = Day of Anxiety

I had my first annual holiday work party last night. I did not want to go -- for several reasons, but mainly because my company of employment contracts their employees out to CDC. So we're just a bunch of contractors who work in different buildings in Atlanta. I only knew 3 people in the entire organization. Well, after spending a significant part of my Saturday looking for something festive to wear for this party and after realizing how weird work parties are, I pondered on some of the events that took place yesterday and came up with some take-home lessons:

  1. Banana Republic always has your back. The prices are a bit steep for me, but it really is the go-to place for semi-semi-formal clothing.
  2. Hotel conference room carpet is always ugly.
  3. I really like Asians. (I always knew that, but it was reinforced last night. Thankfully, two Chinese women at my table let me sit by them and laugh with them.)
  4. For a lot of women, semi-formal clothing means baring cleavage.
  5. When an African man dances in his traditional dance, it is okay for women to lose their normal inhibitions at the office and stuff money in his pants. (Seriously, people -- this one's real.)
  6. That lady in her mid-40's who seems so professional at work can booty-dance as much as an 18-year-old college freshman.
  7. If you sit through work holiday party raves, it isn't a guarantee that you'll win a doorprize when it's over.
  8. Never go to a business party alone. You may think your friends don't want to go to your work party with you, but once you're there, you'll realize that the embarrassment of asking a friend to go to a work party with you because you don't have a "date" is much less than the embarrassment you have watching GROWN ADULTS booty dance.
Thing I'm thankful for: not drinking.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

FINALLY! I got to hear something about the night. You are such a clever writer, Sara. I love love love you so. Sorry there wasn't a hero to take with you! Next year though, I think your hero will be here. Nice to see you and thanks for your help on my home redo! Please see pics on your email. Love MOM
P. S. Yea, cant remember my blog info.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Lexia said...

You're so right about Banana Republic. My "interview" dress was from there and I recently bought a black wool pencil skirt for work as well. It's a shame the Gap is no longer good to me.

I'm glad I have such a funny sister and I had no idea that mom was writing the comment before mine. That house redo thing has changed her manner of speech.

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the creative media field, it is advised to wear jeans and a nice t-shirt to interviews. Suits scare creative types.

Clint

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA. Ok, I've got it back together now.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home