Wednesday, April 12, 2006

My Thoughts on Aliens

Lindsey posted this on her blog yesterday:

Last night, I woke up VERY scared. I thought I heard our front door slam. I made Blake check on Sadie and walk through the place to make sure no one was there. I had a hard time calming down and ended up staying as still as I could in bed for about 2 hours. Why do I think that by keeping still the burglar isn't going to get me? What, do I think he isn't going to see me? Funny.

"That is funny," I thought. And I have the perfect story to illustrate it.

When I was younger (and even still), I was terrified of aliens. So I would cover my entire body with my blanket. I practically suffocated myself nearly 10 times each night. I would be all hot, too, because I would cover myself up with a heavy blanket in summertime as well as winter.

But the important thing was that aliens WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO SEE ME if I was covered up with a blanket! :)

6 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

In case that makes anyone feel better: When I'm alone at home in my hostfamily's rather big house and I hear a weird/loud/close noise I do exactly the same thing, I don't move. Sometimes I get my cell phone in my hand under the covers and lie still. I think that has something to do with wanting to hear any other noises, too. Anyway, I think it's pretty normal. And still funny ;o)

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I did the same thing too. I would lie still underneath the blankets, hoping they would find my brother first. Then I would get a really guilty concious about wanting him taken for abducted first. When I am home alone now, I still do the whole not miving thing...it's so funny, I thought I was the only one!

12:20 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I also hoped the aliens would take Lexi first. I feel really guilty, and I'm sorry Lexi. But when it comes right down to it, I knew that if either of us could survive an abduction, it would be you. :)

12:25 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Man, I was never scared of aliens. But I was always a really scared kid. I was, umm, scared of death. (My great-grandmother died when I was five, and it kind of messed up my head for a while. Who am I kidding? It messed up my head for good.)

When I was little my family knew the lady that was Miss Georgia. (This will amuse y'all.) So I had an autographed, framed headshot of her in my room. But every night I was so convinced that she was staring at me. I did the whole not-moving thing then.

But now I just grab the closest solid object and turn on every light in the house. Guess I'm braver than you wimps. :)

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I hoped they would take you first too! A while ago, for some reason, I became proactive in my fearful state. I got out of bed one night because I thought I heard something and actually went searching for where the noise came from. I used to not move, be still, but I guess I'm growing up. I'm also no longer grossed out by killing cockroaches. Maybe those are the two signs of maturing -- not being scared to get out of bed when you hear something at night and being able to kill mammoth-sized bugs. Oh, and loving people is another sign.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Yeah. Or maybe those are both consequences of living in NYC.

Either way, I'm glad we all survived without being probed by aliens.

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home