Friday, March 10, 2006

What Is That?


I was driving home for lunch the other day, and on the side of one road, I saw what I thought was a little yard statue. You know, one of those gnome things. I thought to myself, "Why is that garden gnome all the way out by the road? Wait a second . . . Is that a gopher?" As soon as I passed it, I looked in my rearview mirror, and it was gone.

Yep, I think it's safe to say it was a gopher. So let me just say a couple of things about gophers:
  1. They are very still creatures. That thing did not blink an eye when I drove by.
  2. Has anyone actually ever seen one? Just on the side of the road?!?
Anyway, it was weird and funny.

Thing I'm thankful for: That I live out in the "boonies," as some people say. I beg to differ, but even if it is the boonies, I only have one question for you: do any of you city-dwellers ever see gophers? I think not.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

That's hilarious.

What's the difference between a gopher and a prairie dog? I guess I could look it up...

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do any of you boonies-dwellers ever see the amount of roaches/rodents that we city-dwellers encounter? I think not. Whose the idiot now?

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who's? How do you say who is?

12:02 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

It would be "who's." :)

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, I miss seeing deer and talking to squirrels and chipmunks. But then, I'm an oft city dweller that enjoys the "boonies" except for the issue of long drives to and from work every day.

If I could live in a bucolic paradise and quickly commute into the city for work or to enjoy the cultural affordances of a major city, I'd be lovin' life. (Especially if the "yard" were of a foresty sort that takes care of itself... and if there were a pair of shrubberies placed beside one another, one slightly higher than the other to create a two-level effect with a little path running down the middle.)

As it is, I just have to love being in only one or the other at any given time. Since I'm more in the city now, I think back to coming across families of wandering deer. When I'm in more of a "boonies" place again, it'll be time to miss catching a hockey game on a whim or seeing 3 different plays in as many weeks.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

That's why you want to live in the suburbs. When I came home from running at dawn some time ago, there were a mother and two baby deer in our front yard, happily nibbling on our periwinkle. I see coyotes, a racoon the other day, many, many squirrels, lots of birds, and I don't have it too far to be out in the sticks or in the city. Like it a lot ;o)

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home