Sunday, December 04, 2005

My New Job

Tonight I wanted to post. "But what do I have to post about?" I thought to myself. Jacki suggested I post about my new job. Duh! I completely forgot that I haven't posted about my job!

I started on Thursday. Everybody asks, "Why Thursday?" It was December 1st. Anyway, I got to work at 8:00, and my boss gave me a tour of the department. The tour took about 3.2 minutes because the department is located in a small house. Right now, I'm working at a small desk in my boss's office, but in about a week, when the maintenance men finish building some walls, I will have my own office. It has windows, built-in bookshelves (YESSSSS!), and a door to the outside. It's a pretty large office, but since it's really just a room in an old house and right next to the kitchen, the other workers have to go through my office to get their coffee and whatnot. Argh. BUT a divider will be put up.

Oh well. The department's getting business cards made, and once my office is set up, I get to go to Staples for office supplies. Niiice.

So what do I do? Because it's a new position, it's a tad ambiguous. But I'm supposed to be editing and organizing UWG's website content. Thursday and Friday, I had to look around the university's website and take notes, and get used to navigating a Mac. I also edited a short faculty and staff e-mail newsletter, which was fun. Also, I spent some time looking at other American university websites.

All in all, I like my job. I'm not quite settled yet and my responsibilities aren't fully formed, but I really like my boss and the people I work with. I can already tell it will be a perfectly pleasing work environment.

As for starting a salaried job, I will say that it's difficult for me to get used to. It's especially difficult because I work at the college I graduated from. So I still feel like a student. When I go to work each day, I feel more like a student assistant than a full staff member. I still feel like I have to ask somebody if I can go to the bathroom or something. Friday, my dad asked, "You know you can take breaks, right?" "Breaks?" I said; "Oh yeah! I can just take a break without asking!"

So that part is a little weird. But I'm sure those feelings will pass. Maybe not as quickly as they would for other people because I'm used to being the youngest in my family. (Oh. I forgot to mention that I'm the youngest staff member at work, too. By like, 10 or 15 years probably.)

That's about it for now. Wish me luck!

Thing I'm thankful for: I don't think I can say this too many times -- having a job!

4 Comments:

Blogger Blake said...

Score, Sara! Love the Mac, and have fun!

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!!! About asking to take breaks. At least you wont be yelling, like you did when you were two! PLEASE COME AND WIPE ME!!!! Love MOM

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love hearing about your work. I laugh becauses I know you feel like a fish out of water! It is a fun transition!
-Brooks

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please come and wipe me...she really said it! She said the words. I'm laughin' hard here, Sa.

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home